Saturday, July 1, 2017

Deciding to Have a Baby

So, how did I go from a single girl, fulfilling her dream in Spain, to becoming a mom in Canada? I'd always envisioned adopting, because I didn't want the pressure of having to find a partner before turning 40. When I met my love, R, we talked near the beginning of our relationship about marriage and a family. I presented my ideas and opinion on adoption, but in the end we decided it wasn't for us.

We've decided to start trying to have a child. The complications are: I'm almost 40, and I've just found out that women in my family have menopause early. I thought I had time even at age 41 or 42, but genetically speaking, the best choice is for us to have a baby now. And we've been dating for less than a year. However, he's been honest about wanting to commit and start a family, we both have stable careers, and we have no debt. The time seems ripe.

He's been very excited about starting a family. When I tell people I'm considering having a baby, and they ask if my boyfriend is ready, I joke, "He was ready yesterday!" Because he was ready before I said I was. My gynecologist as well; she's normally very stoic, very professional. However, when I stated my intent to conceive, her face lit up like Christmas and she was so happy.

However, we can't start yet. The doctor discovered abnormal cells near my cervix. Luckily, they're low-grade, but it means a delay while I get a biopsy done. This happened before, shortly before moving to Spain, so I know what to expect. I just hope it's not going to complicate matters during my pregnancy - if it even happens. I intuitively feel healthy, and I believe I will conceive quickly, but I think all women think that. It's funny, after years of preventing pregnancy, I'm now really wanting it! Albeit at an older age, so fingers crossed it happens naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment