Friday, July 28, 2017

Leap into a LEEP

I had a LEEP (surgery in the cervix when abnormal, pre-cancerous cells are found during a pap smear) in 2013. At the time, babies were not on my mind, rather I was about to go to Spain and start my adventure. Cut to 2017, I've returned to Canada, I've met a wonderful guy, we make plans to start a family...and my gynecologist tells me there's something abnormal about my pap. Which leads to my second LEEP. This is a type of minor surgery where pre-cancerous cells are excised from the cervical area. If left untreated, these cells would turn into cancer over time.

Unlike the first one, I was extremely nervous before the second LEEP. I called the clinic several times, asking questions about how it would affect pregnancy in the future, and if there was another way besides a LEEP. They assured me that it would not affect my ability to conceive, but there was a slight chance I'd give birth prematurely. And no, there was no other way to be sure that the abnormal cells would be taken out, other than to have a LEEP.

So nervously I went, and thank goodness R was able to drive me there and bring me home, because I was very emotional sitting alone in the changeroom. I recall crying the first time in 2013, because I felt like I was going through it alone. This time, I had someone waiting patiently for me in the waiting area, but still I cried for an unknown future, and an unknown baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment